The Black & White

  • Dance Team tryouts will be held May 17 at 6:00 p.m. in the cafeteria.

  • The counseling office has arranged for the Iowa College Access Network to present to Johnston juniors and parents in the high school auditorium May 21 at 7:00 p.m.

  • Student council will be hosting a dog walk on May 20 from 12 p.m. to 2 p.m. at Beaver Creek Elementary school

  • Student council barbecue will held May 12 at Price Chopper from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.

  • Sophomore and junior girls wishing to play volleyball must attend the meeting held May 11 at 7:15 a.m. in room 611.

Unexpected fire alarm ends school day early

A+firefighter+walks+towards+his+truck+after+checking+and+securing+the+building.+Students+fled+the+high+school+early+after+alarm+went+off.+
A firefighter walks towards his truck after checking and securing the building. Students fled the high school early after alarm went off.

A firefighter walks towards his truck after checking and securing the building. Students fled the high school early after alarm went off.

Obsee Abbajabal

Obsee Abbajabal

A firefighter walks towards his truck after checking and securing the building. Students fled the high school early after alarm went off.

Obsee Abbajabal, Staff Writer

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.


Email This Story






A few minutes before the bell marking the end of the day rang Feb. 7, the fire alarm went off. Shortly after, an announcement was made through the intercom that teachers needed to help evacuate students from the school.

During a fire, students would normally evacuate the building and head to the football field for teachers to take attendance. However, the football field is overflowing with snow. In this case, Plan B is to head towards the church located at the corner of 100th street and 62nd. However, many staff and students were confused by the alarm. Although some staff members told students to head toward the church, these statements were not enforced.

P.E. teacher Deb Nicholson said firefighters found smoke coming from a room in the lower level of the school. The smoke originated from a T-shirt maker machine that malfunctioned. The machine is used by Entrepreneurship, a business class offered to juniors and seniors.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Leave a Comment

The Black & White encourages the student body to comment on the issues covered by the newspaper. The Black & White believes that user feedback is beneficial to maintain a balanced journalistic perspective. However, we encourage all comments to remain respectful and constructive to the issue. We also encourage students to restrain from using profanity and making inappropriate comments. The Black & White editors review all online comments before being posted. The Black & White reserves the right to refuse to publish individual comments, remove previously published comments and to suspend the comment function on a story.




*

Navigate Right
Navigate Left
  • Unexpected fire alarm ends school day early

    News

    Seniors continue the elementary school visit tradition

  • Unexpected fire alarm ends school day early

    News

    Protest leads to questions of what flags can be flown at school

  • Unexpected fire alarm ends school day early

    News

    New attendance policy proves ineffective

  • Unexpected fire alarm ends school day early

    News

    Lehman takes out Oldham’s stitches

  • Unexpected fire alarm ends school day early

    News

    Naanep wins District Singles Title

  • Unexpected fire alarm ends school day early

    News

    School board finalizes plans for new baseball/softball complex

  • Unexpected fire alarm ends school day early

    News

    Biology kids have fun as cells

  • Unexpected fire alarm ends school day early

    News

    Mennen encourages mental health

  • Unexpected fire alarm ends school day early

    Creative Differences

    Streets of After Prom

  • Unexpected fire alarm ends school day early

    News

    Raising Healthy Dragons: A community-focused learning forum